The role involves working as part of a team developing and maintaining web applications and internal systems. The role is predominantly related to development of the company website that is based on Ruby on Rails, however a broad experience of web/software development and related systems and ability to work with a variety of technologies is essential. The website has significant dynamic content that requires integration with sales, support and financial systems. You will need to engage with a variety of stakeholders from the initial analysis of requirements through to delivery and maintenance. The role is a highly technical hands-on role and together with the need for clear and effective communication within the team and with other stakeholders. Clearly articulating your thoughts and plans verbally and in writing is key. Understanding and promoting effective use of time and best engineering practice is vital throughout the design, delivery and documentation of your work.
Key aspects of the role will include:
- Hands-on requirements gathering, solution design and coding
- Analysing requirements with stakeholders
- Researching technical solutions
- Documenting technical designs
- Writing code including Ruby, .NET and other related technologies
- System and software architecture design
- Database design and management
- Maintenance and bug-fixing
- Code review
- Working with cloud technologies and deployment strategies
- Working closely with PM, BA, QA, translators, business users as necessary
- Working within an iterative development cycle
- Describing prospective solutions both in writing and rapid prototyping
- Adhering to and improving best practice and business processes
- Contributing openly and confidently in meetings, and following the strategies agreed
- Planning work using agile methods and defect tracking systems
- Demonstrating progress to stakeholders regularly
- Supporting other members of the team
- Knowledge sharing and building team technical competence
- Clear, analytical thinker
- Attention to detail
- Desire to create the best possible outcome
- Taking pride in achievement
- In-depth experience of or visibly capable of rapidly acquiring a deep level of understanding of Ruby on Rails
- Experience of and/or capable of working with a broad set of technologies including .NET, SQL, etc.
- Familiar with agile tools, Git, Gerrit, Jenkins, Jira etc.
- Awareness/experience of Responsive Web Design
- Experience of system and software architecture design
- Awareness/experience of UX/UI
- Highly productive, effective user of time
- Ability to discern what is required and stick to task
- Good listener able to articulate appropriate point of view
- Enjoyment of software engineering
- Enjoyment of collaborative working practices
As part of the application process, you will need to provide us with your CV. Please click the "Apply" button below to continue with your application.
World Programming is committed to being an equal opportunities employer. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.